Sunday, August 24, 2008

Eunice can be fun too *snicker*


Above is another sunrise picture. It is great when we can see these beautiful sunrises on our way to work. The horizon is so far away; much farther than I have ever seen it.

Well, I celebrated my birthday on the 18th. We decided to try a new place to eat for my birthday, not that we haven't eaten at a new place every night. Some co-workers told us to try out a place called The Saxony. We found out where that was and traveled down there. It was on the Eastern side of Hobbs, near the high school. When we got there, we found it to be a very small restaurant in an inn and it had no room for us. So, we went to another restaurant that Paul Sr., the owner of PKMJ, had told us about, called Pacific Rim. When we got there, it was closed. So, we went to Applebee's instead. I have been to so many birthday dinners at Applebee's while at college, so it seemed rather fitting that we went to the one in Hobbs for mine. We wanted to get some drinks afterwards since Pete Berry, the man we report to at the NEF plant, had given me $20 to buy a round of drinks. Since it was so late though, we decided to wait for another night.

So, my birthday wasn't too exciting. A few more coworkers came in to town, and one of them, Emily, joined us for dinner. The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. Work has been pretty good and kept some of us busy. The sad thing is that not all of us have been given tasks or jobs to do yet. And it's not because there isn't work to do. It's because that the people that know what work needs to be done and how to do it are too busy to train our coworkers who are not busy. I not only currently have a good amount of work to do, but also will be doing more starting tomorrow.

Saturday, we enjoyed a picnic at the park and pool in Eunice. None of us actually went into the pool, but it looked really nice. It had a couple of really neat slides. The food for the picnic was ok. The cool part was the prizes they gave at the end of the picnic, and the reason that is cool is because I won a Sony portable DVD player. It's one of those things that I probably would not have bought on my own, but I am kind of glad to have now. I'll be able to watch movies on the airplane trips that I will be going on.

Finally, there are the events of Sunday. Allison and I went to a rather charismatic church. I am pretty reformed, so this was quite outside my comfort zone. But, I still try to be open minded when at a church I am not familiar with. This church was not one that I would continue to go to however. They sang about 7 worship songs at the beginning of the service, all of which I had never heard before. At one point they talked about the construction they would be starting soon. They needed to raise 50 thousand dollars, and twenty thousand were going to be used for a large digital sign that would be placed at the entrance. Not only did this seem way too extravagant for a church, the reason the pastor used for buying this was that it adds a "wow factor" to the church. I would hope a pastor would be more concerned about advancing the Gospel than about "wowing" people that pass the church on the road.

That afternoon, we went to a neat public pool that had a number of water toys for kids. The most impressive of these was a big water slide. I was the first to go down, but, because the sign at the top said to go down in a seated position, I went down really slow. This made my friends laugh quite a bit. I explained that I was testing the slide in a safe and slow manner. You can't see the slide in this picture, but it was about twice as high as the little red one in the background.

After that, we had dinner at Quizno's and then turned in for the night to get ready for another week of work.

No comments: